April 16, 2023

Gin and Tonic

I was thinking today that we’ve sailed pretty much the same distance as it would be to drive from coast to coast in Canada 🇨🇦!! About 7500 kms! 


I love seeing my little google maps icon out in the middle of the ocean and my weather app location displaying “South Pacific Ocean”. 


Once we arrive it will have been 30 days at sea. That’s 1/12th of my year. Wowee. It’s so cool to now be able to scroll in and see land and our destination. Our next waypoint is now our destination, Nuku Hiva! 


300 nautical miles to go and on average we do about 140 a day, so about 2 days to go! I can’t believe it’s almost over. My vacation is coming to an end lol. Lazing around all day without any Graham guilt 😂 will be over. 


While we’ve been out here we’ve been part of a WhatsApp group of cruisers with starlinks who are all doing the crossing. The camaraderie and daily checkins with folks, having the same shared experiences was pretty nice. So wonderful to be able to share in their moments and memories as well as our own. 


What am I looking forward to you might ask?? My answer should be something like “walk on land” or “eat fresh fruit” or “hug my daughter” it would be totally wrong if it was…..”a gin and tonic” right? 😂. It will have been 30 days without alcohol, so let the games begin. Lol. Jk. I look forward to returning to some normalcy in our daily routine with happy hours and leisurely meals together without having to brace ourselves all the time. 


I don’t want to jinx anything but this passage has been everything I dreamed and hoped for and cherry on top will be having Amelia and Elliott waiting with ticker tape at the other end!


So much to look forward to but for now I will try and savour my last two days of vaca. 

No comments:

Post a Comment