July 04, 2008

Roots

I know I said that I wasn't going to write about our trip across Canada but we are sitting in paradise and I have to share how amazing it is.

We are at Graham's Grandmothers house on a farm in the Qu'Appelle valley in Tantallon, Saskatchewan. I put the kids to bed last night and as I tucked them in, I told them to just take a moment to let the warmth embrace them. I said that it isn't often you can sleep in a room that you slept as a baby, that your Dad slept as a baby and that your Nanny slept as a baby and that your Great Grandpa slept as a baby. Of course I teared up, it felt so good.

In the morning the windows were open and the breeze blew the curtains open and closed. The wall paper is blue with little white flowers and the curtains are white with blue lace trim, the quilts on the bed are handmade, the doors are white and the door knobs are painted brass. Each door has a big block trim header on it. It feels so safe and good here. Everything is just as I remembered it. I could hear Graham and his Grandmother talking in the early morning. They both got up as the sun rised. The sound of Nanny Myrtle's voice was so soothing that I fell back asleep for awhile longer.

As soon as the kids got up and had a quick bite, they were off adventuring on their own. It felt strange to just open the door and let them run. Granny Mrytle told them the direction of the creek and the bridge and that was it. Their eyes lit up and they were gone. They have been working on building their own bridge ever since. I just looked out the window from the upstairs bedroom and saw the back of the two of them, heading across the green, green yard, dragging a shovel behind them to the creek. I just wanted to freeze time.

We have all been inspired to cook and bake. We had a hearty roasted chicken meal last night with strawberry rhubarb pie and Graham's cousin Nolan showed up and the neighbour Debbie came over. The conversation just seems to flow more easily here and the stories just pull us all in. We stayed at the kitchen table til almost 10.
We are going out to hike the family land today. Graham has told the kids stories since they were babies of his adventures on this land. They are looking forward to our hike.

We have been many places in this world but this farm inspires pure happiness and relaxation. It is like being able to crawl back up on your mom's lap as an adult and get that safe, safe comforted feeling you got as a child.

The good news is that we have 6 more days here!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey - sounds like paradise - without the rolly bed. A place like that is something I always wished for you guys to experience but was not capable of taking the steps at the time to make possible. I am glad that Alex and Amelia (and Julie) will have a chance
    Missing you guys
    Grampa Griff and Nana Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound wonderful so maybe you should stay until Christmas. I am glad you are having such a nice visit. After all of your adventures it is nice to find rest and peace.
    We look forward to seeing you, Chantelle will come also and hopefully Jason. We will all be here except Ann Marie and Shane who will be crusing.
    See you soon.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well put Julie...........You brought tears to moms eyes :)
    See you soon.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why am I reading about a farm adventure on a site called CASTINGOFF????

    ReplyDelete