December 29, 2023

Van Life…not like Instagram

 Well we woke up this morning to pouring rain. I need to go to the bathroom but I’m hating the thought of using the fly infested long drop. There isn’t really a place I can pee either without other campers around. We are also a long way away from a town so eventually I realize I have to bite the bullet and use the bathroom. 

Graham made egg and bacon sandwiches. So good. We then got packed up in between the rain showers and headed off to our next site. About halfway there Graham was like “this seems like the middle of nowhere”. We realized we needed to turn back and get provisions for a couple nights. Internet coverage isn’t that great. We finally manage to get a bar and could see a very small town not too far back. The town was the smallest but it did have a very little store with a few dusty groceries at it. We managed to get some pasta and sauce and a couple of meat pies and coffees. All set. Driving seems a bit easier today although there was a bit on wet gravel. 


When we finally arrive at our campground it looks pretty cool. It a boulder reserve and just as it sound’s humongous boulders everywhere. There is no one around but there is a little box for money, a sign with an arrow to the campground and a bunch of maps for the hiking trails. We are all set! Once we had the van parked we head off on our hike. It doesn’t take long to realize this is gonna be epic. Mossy trails with turns and twists. Crevices. Bridges. Steps. And caves! And views that are like paintings.  Bubbling streams and massive boulders lining some of the trail. Absolutely crazy. I feel so grateful. I find myself saying this is a hike of a lifetime but then we both wonder if perhaps every hike will be like this. We opt to do the 3 hour hike to the magic rock. It’s a crazy huge boulder overlooking the valley. The day has turned quite hot and so humid. By the time we reach the rock I am so sweaty. We see some young guys who tell us you can climb the boulder but best to do it with bare feet. I give it a shot and am so proud of myself when I make it to the top of the boulder. It feels like I’m on top of the world. Unfortunately what goes up must come down. I finally manage to climb down and Graham and I relax under a tree and eat our leftover Pizza Hut pizza. The rest of the day it rains off and on and we laze a bout. Nap. We play some cards. Watch some shows. Make some food. It feels weird to have so much free time lol. It is going to take some time to get used to this. We are now laying inside the van in the dark. We’ve been on a mosquito killing mission. All the windows are closed now. It’s hot but I think we are bug free. We will see. I think it’s gonna be a long night. There were moments today in the van that it looked a bit like the Instagram van lives I follow but we still aren’t completely there 😂. 

No comments:

Post a Comment